Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekend Therapy

My dear brother Chandler Merrill celebrated 22 years on Saturday! I made him grandmother's chocolate cake with bittersweet chocolate frosting with chocolate shavings on top. I enjoyed making it and he enjoyed eating it. Chan came over last night to enjoy the cake, with his buddy Max. I bought fresh handpacked Baskin Robbins pralines 'n cream to accompany the chocolatey goodness. Chan was pretty stoked on the celebration. He informed me he didn't like birthdays much, he's not a fan of the excessive attention and wishes birthdays would just go away. So we kept it mellow.
Saturday morning my wonderful friend Sara Sonntag (met her in DC on Washington Seminar) and I drove up to Park City and enjoyed a quick getaway. First stop, Windy Ridge Bakery. Unfortunately they were out of their fresh baked pastries, but desperation leads to innovation and I took advantage of the opportunity to discover the most delicious eclair I have ever tasted. Also my two mini dark chocolate raspberry truffles were drool-worthy. As always, my expectations were met and exceeded by their quality delights. Next, we headed over to No Place Like Home where I swooned over sparkly white Le Creuset cookware and french brioche molds. I came out with some India Tree Belgian Pearl Sugar. They are large, irregular-shaped, sugar chunks to adorn the tops of baked goods. The sugar does not un-chunk as it bakes, and it's beautiful. I was tempted to buy the French loaf pan that dismantles, and the ruffled brioche mold, but I refrained. I was only comforted when I had another bite of my eclair back in the car. Then it was onto the outlets, first J.Crew and then Banana Republic, Nike, Bass, and Old Navy. I didn't find anything I couldn't live without in any store except...Old Navy. I couldn't believe it, but I came out with 4 tops, a dress, and pants. All fabulous and super reasonably priced. Plus, the snow-blanketed city was beautiful and it felt like we had escaped from gray Provo for a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Hay!! Your blog posts are amazing, that chocolate cake is absolutely gorgeous, how did you make the frosting sooo smooth! The chocolate shavings are absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad you had a blast up there, our favorite shop out ther is the Nike outlet, they have steals and it's usually all the same great stuff! Love windy ridge bakery!

    ReplyDelete