Thursday, February 16, 2012

Belgian Waffles and Butternut Squash Burritos

Two recent culinary endeavors. I have made these butternut squash burritos several times and they are so delicious; the only inconvenience is peeling, de-seeding, and chopping the butternut squash. But the undeniable flavor provided by their perfectly golden roasted flesh is worth every second. These boast black beans, onions, and butternut squash, simply flavored with garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt. A red pepper, avocado, and pure sour cream really brought this batch up a notch.
And as you can see from the picture, I'm not huge on tortillas, so I made some bulgur wheat to go with the vegetables. My experimental endeavor was the belgian waffles, made from a recipe from my recently acquired Joy of Cooking cookbook. I have a particular affinity for breakfast food, per the Frame tradition, and I saw this recipe for a yeast-raised dough and I couldn't resist trying it. Of all breakfast fare, waffles tend to be my least favorite because they seem to get "squished" in the waffle iron, and I prefer "fluffy" breakfast items. So with high hopes, I mixed up the dough, and set it to rise. Patiently, I waited for the dough to double in size,
and then with anticipation I heated my berries and mixed up a delicious buttermilk syrup (equal parts butter, buttermilk, and maple syrup) to accompany my forthcoming waffle. I will also note I made them with all whole grain flours, because I prefer to use only whole grains. Luckily, the dough still rose and when they came out of the waffle iron, they were fragrant and light and fulfilled all my waffle dreams.
With the berries, some dark chocolate chips and the warm buttermilk syrup on top, they were nothing short of a Sunday morning breakfast dream!

1 comment:

  1. Hay, these waffles look amazing! Your culinary creations are seriously jaw dropping. I love the touch of warm berries on top. Okay, it's official I am making that syrup! It sounds so tantalizing good. Great valentines, I can't wait to go to the mail box tomorrow and see if it has come.

    ReplyDelete